Solid Insulator Capacitor Maker Kemet Does
Helsinki, Finland — Humidity plays a crucial role in the manufacture of capacitors. Capacitor paper has to be completely dry to ensure high quality and yield.
Over-drying limits the manufacturing capacity and affects energy consumption.
A manufacturer of solid insulator capacitors with an annual production of over 70 million capacitors improved their dryer capacity and reduced energy consumption while maintaining quality and yield by changing control strategy from one based on time to another based on measurement data.
A capacitor is a basic electronic component that is able to reserve electrical charge.
Capacitors are used in filters, power supplies, oscillator circuits, and other electrical systems.
A capacitor’s operating principle is based on the accumulation of electrons on the surface of a
conductive material. To facilitate this, a dielectric layer is located between the conductive layers.
When electrostatic potential is applied over the terminals, the electrical field over the dielectric layer causes charge carriers to accumulate on the conductive surfaces. The amount of electrical charge the capacitor can hold is called capacitance and is measured in the SI unit Farad [F].
The larger the surface area, and the smaller the distance between the conductors and the electrical permittivity of the dielectric, the higher the capacitance.
- Capacitor paper has to be completely dry to ensure high quality and yield
- Over-drying limits the manufacturing capacity and affects energy consumption
- Vaisala DMT348 dew point temperature transmitter installed at vacuum dryer exhaust for drying-oven control
- Vaisala MI70 handheld indicator together with HMP75 and DMP74A probes for overall process control
- Changing control strategy from one based on time to one based on measurement data.
- Improved yield at the vacuum deposit stage
- Increased drying capacity
- Shorter drying times
- Cost savings in the drying stage
- Improved control during the whole process
KEMET Electronics – Capacitor Specialists
KEMET Electronics, part of the KEMET Group, manufactures paper and polymer capacitors.
“Humidity plays a crucial role in the manufacture of capacitors. Our location in Finland is handy because the climate is naturally dry,” Quality Engineer Harri Juntunen explains.
“Seasonal variations in humidity still have an effect on our production
Read the details online at: http://www.vaisala.com/Vaisala%20Documents/Success%20Stories/CEN-TIA-G-KEMET-Electronics-B211447EN-A.pdf
Vaisala a world leader in many measurement fields. Nowadays Vaisala employs over 1,400 people and exports 98% of its production to over 150 countries. Curiosity, the desire to meet challenges and an extraordinary ability to innovate are at Vaisala’s core, both past and present.
More online at www.Vaisala.com