Southampton PA, USA — As we approach the 50th anniversary of ASTM’s Committee E20 on Temperature Measurement (November 6, 2012), it is useful to print an up-to-date list of the results of its work: modern temperature measurement standard guides, specifications, practices and test methods. This organization provides one of the most comprehensive collections of such voluntarily produced standards?? in the world.
Other, similar standards are published elsewhere and some are described, with links provided, after the ASTM list below.
ASTM Temperature Standards:
- E1-07 Standard Specification for ASTM Liquid-in-Glass Thermometers
- E77-07 Standard Test Method for Inspection and Verification of Thermometers
- E100-10 Standard Specification for ASTM Hydrometers
- E126-05a Standard Test Method for Inspection, Calibration, and Verification of ASTM Hydrometers
- E207-08 Standard Test Method for Thermal EMF Test of Single Thermoelement Materials by Comparison with a Reference Thermoelement of Similar EMF-Temperature Properties.
- E220-07a Standard Test Method for Calibration of Thermocouples By Comparison Techniques
- E230/E230M-11e1 Standard Specification and Temperature-Electromotive Force (emf) Tables for Standardized Thermocouples
- E235-06 Standard Specification for Thermocouples, Sheathed, Type K and Type N, for Nuclear or for Other High-Reliability Applications
- E344-12 Terminology Relating to Thermometry and Hydrometry
- E452-02(2007) Standard Test Method for Calibration of Refractory Metal Thermocouples Using a Radiation Thermometer
- E563-11 Standard Practice for Preparation and Use of an Ice-Point Bath as a Reference Temperature
- E574-06 Standard Specification for Duplex, Base Metal Thermocouple Wire With Glass Fiber or Silica Fiber Insulation
- E585/E585M-12 Standard Specification for Compacted Mineral-Insulated, Metal-Sheathed, Base Metal Thermocouple Cable
- E601-07a Standard Test Method for Measuring Electromotive Force (emf) Stability of Base-Metal Thermoelement Materials with Time in Air
- E608/E608M-06 Standard Specification for Mineral-Insulated, Metal-Sheathed Base Metal Thermocouples
- E644-11 Standard Test Methods for Testing Industrial Resistance Thermometers
- E696-07 Standard Specification for Tungsten-Rhenium Alloy Thermocouple Wire
- E780-06(2011) Standard Test Method for Measuring the Insulation Resistance of Mineral-Insulated, Metal-Sheathed Thermocouples and Thermocouple Cable at Room Temperature
- E839-11 Standard Test Methods for Sheathed Thermocouples and Sheathed Thermocouple Cable
- E879-12 Standard Specification for Thermistor Sensors for General Purpose and Laboratory Temperature Measurements
- E1129/E1129M-08e1 Standard Specification for Thermocouple Connectors
- E1137/E1137M-08 Standard Specification for Industrial Platinum Resistance Thermometers
- E1159-98(2009) Standard Specification for Thermocouple Materials, Platinum-Rhodium Alloys, and Platinum
- E1256-11a Standard Test Methods for Radiation Thermometers (Single Waveband Type)
- E1350-07 Standard Guide for Testing Sheathed Thermocouples, Thermocouples Assemblies, and Connecting Wires Prior to, and After Installation or Service
- E1502-10 Standard Guide for Use of Fixed-Point Cells for Reference Temperatures
- E1594-11 Standard Guide for Expression of Temperature
- E1652-10 Standard Specification for Magnesium Oxide and Aluminum Oxide Powder and Crushable Insulators Used in the Manufacture of Metal-Sheathed Platinum Resistance Thermometers, Base Metal Thermocouples, and Noble Metal Thermocouples
- E1684-10 Standard Specification for Miniature Thermocouple Connectors
- E1750-10 Standard Guide for Use of Water Triple Point Cells
- E1751/E1751M-09e1 Standard Guide for Temperature Electromotive Force (emf) Tables for Non-Letter Designated Thermocouple Combinations
- E2181/E2181M-11 Standard Specification for Compacted Mineral-Insulated, Metal-Sheathed, Noble Metal Thermocouples and Thermocouple Cable
- E2251-11 Standard Specification for Liquid-in-Glass ASTM Thermometers with Low-Hazard Precision Liquids
- E2488-09 Standard Guide for the Preparation and Evaluation of Liquid Baths Used for Temperature Calibration by Comparison
- E2593-11e1 Standard Guide for Accuracy Verification of Industrial Platinum Resistance Thermometers
- E2623-08e1 Standard Practice for Reporting Thermometer Calibrations
- E2730-10 Standard Practice for Calibration and Use of Thermocouple Reference Junction Probes in Evaluation of Electronic Reference Junction Compensation Circuits
- E2758-10 Standard Guide for Selection and Use of Wideband, Low Temperature Infrared Thermometers
- E2820-11 Standard Test Method for Evaluating Thermal EMF Properties of Base-Metal Thermocouple Connectors
- E2847-11 Standard Practice for Calibration and Accuracy Verification of Wideband Infrared Thermometers
E20’s standards described above are available for purchase online either singly or as part of collected series, such as Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM Volume 14.03 Temperature Measurement (www.astm.org/BOOKSTORE/BOS/1403.htm).
ASTM Committee E20 on Temperature Measurement?? was formed in 1962. The Committee meets twice a year, at the May and November Committee Weeks, with about 40 members attending 2 days of technical meetings. The Committee, with a current membership of approximately 120, has jurisdiction over 43 standards, published in the Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Volume 14.03.
E20 has 6 technical subcommittees that maintain jurisdiction over these standards.
Each main committee in ASTM International is composed of subcommittees that address specific segments within the general subject area covered by the technical committee.
Click on the subcommittee links below to see the title of existing standards for each subcommittee. Then, click on the resulting titles to see the standard’s scope, referenced documents, contacts and more.
E20.02 Radiation Thermometry
E20.03 Resistance Thermometers
E20.05 Liquid-in-Glass Thermometers and Hydrometers
E20.07 Fundamentals in Thermometry
E20.09 Digital Contact Thermometers
E20.91 Editorial and Terminology
E20.96 Newer Thermometers and Techniques
Information on this subcommittee structure and E20’s portfolio of approved standards and Work Items under development are available from the List of Subcommittees and Standards. These standards have played a preeminent role in all aspects of temperature measurement.
Other Standards on Temperature Sensors
DIN’s (Deutsches Institut f??r Normung) list of Standards (in English are online at: www.dke.din.de/cmd?workflowname=dinSearch&languageid=en
The International Bureau of Weights & Measures (BIPM) maintains their “Useful Links” webpage (www.bipm.org/en/practical_info/useful_links/),???? a metrology search engine combined with a directory second to none. It is focused on on the topics of:
- Metrology institutes: NMIs and other institutes, by country
- Regional metrology organizations: Links to regional metrology organizations (RMOs)
- Legal metrology authorities: Links to international, regional and national legal metrology bodies
- Accreditation authorities: Links to international, regional and national accreditation bodies
- Standards bodies: Links to international, regional and national organizations for standardization
- and much more.