Calorimetry and thermal methods in material science
Lyon, France – — Calorimetry and thermal analysis methods, alone or linked to other techniques, will be described and applied to the characterization of catalysts, oxides, metals, supports, adsorbents, polymers, composites, food, pharmaceuticals, mesoporous solids, ionic liquids, phase change materials, heat storage materials, hydrogen storage materials.
Examples will be given in various domains: catalytic reactions, air and wastewater treatment, clean and renewable energies, refining of hydrocarbons, green chemistry, hydrogen production and storage, CO2 capture, interseasonal heat storage, food chemistry, polymers…
The described techniques will be the following:
- calorimetry, DSC (differential scanning calorimetry),
- TGA (thermogravimetric analysis),
- DTA (differential thermal analysis),
- TPD (thermoprogrammed desorption),
- TPR/TPO (thermoprogrammed reduction/oxidation),
- Calorimetry – Volumetry,
- TG-DSC-MS, DSC – Gas Chromatography,
- Calorimetry – UV / Visible spectroscopy,
- Calorimetry – HPL Chromatography,
- Titration and
- flow calorimetry, ….
Thematic workshops on case studies will be organized according to the scientific interests of the participants (i.e. CO2 capture, hydrogen storage and production, thermochemical heat storage, polymer decomposition, catalytic active sites characterization, experimental set-up and instruments calibrations, experimental data interpretation…).
Participants are invited to submit their wishes in the registration form (“Remarks” section).
Participants are encouraged to submit a 1 page summary of their work to be considered for oral/poster presentation during the workshop. Experts in the various domains of thermal analysis will be available for discussions.
Aline AUROUX and Simona BENNICI,
Institut de Recherches sur la Catalyse et l’Environnement de Lyon,
UMR 5256 CNRS/Université Lyon 1,
2 avenue Einstein,
69626 Villeurbanne cedex,
Phone: +33 4 72 44 53 98;
Fax: +33 4 72 44 53 99;
June 21 – 26, 2015.
Registration on Sunday 21 afternoon, beginning of the summer school on Monday 22 morning, end of the summer school on Friday 26 afternoon (around 5 pm).
The school will be held on the beautiful site of Fourvière Hill in Lyon, close to the Basilique de Fourvière and Roman Theater: Centre Jean Bosco, 14 rue Roger Radisson, 69005 Lyon, France
The registration fee includes 5 nights of housing in Jean Bosco or Foyer Jésus-Marie centers (depending on your choice and availability), 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 3 diners, coffees and drinks, 1 welcome party, 1 excursion and 1 banquet, the book of lessons and the attendance to the school:
• Students and PhD students (of any public or private organisation): 600 euros with lodging in single room in Foyer Jésus-Marie (only for ladies) or in shared double room in Jean Bosco, 800 euros with lodging in a single room in centre Jean Bosco, or 400 euros without lodging (but including meals). For French students, please provide an attestation from your university or laboratory.
• Other participants (including postdoctoral positions), members of any other public or private organisation: 800 euros (including lodging in single room in centre Jean Bosco), or 550 euros without lodging (but including meals).
• Extra-nights will be charged 35 euros in Foyer Jésus-Marie and 45 euros in Jean Bosco center (per night). Please indicate in the registration form, in the column Remarks, your dates of arrival and departure and the number of extra-nights you wish.
You can register on-line on the website http://calo.catalyse.cnrs.fr.
In case of problems during the on-line registration procedure, you can also download the registration form: registration.pdf and send it back by e-mail or fax:
Fax: +33 4 72 44 53 99 (To: Dr. Aline AUROUX)
• Rooms in “Jean Bosco” center: single and double rooms with private shower and toilets are available (please give your preference on the registration form).
• Rooms in Foyer Jésus-Marie: located 100 meters from “Jean Bosco” center, single rooms with shared shower (one for 2 rooms) are available. Single rooms with private shower are also available .
• Foyer Jésus-Marie accepts only ladies. It is located 2 place de Fourvière (door in front of Metro Fourvière)
• Other hotels: a list of low price hotels is available on the web-site.
The number of rooms in Jean Bosco and Foyer Jésus-Marie is limited. Payment deadline will be May 15, 2015.
Note that Jean Bosco center and Foyer Jésus-Marie are very close to each other (less than 100m).
The school is addressed to PhD students, Post-docs, researchers, engineers, technical staff and technologists, belonging to academic structures as well as to private companies, already working or interested to orient their future research in the field of thermal analysis and calorimetry, and which wish to acquire skill in such methods applied to the characterization of materials.
There will be two parallel sessions (one in French, one in English) in two different classrooms.
The course is intended to fill the gap between the basic thermodynamic and kinetics concepts acquired by the students during their academic formation, and the use of experimental techniques such as thermal analysis and calorimetry to answer practical questions.
The course will give the students insight into the different thermal and calorimetric methods which can be employed in studies aimed at characterizing the physico-chemical properties of materials.
The course will give also the basic concepts for the physico-chemical comprehension of the relevant phenomena (adsorption/desorption, melting, crystallization, phase transitions, chemical interactions and reactions,…) .
• Lectures (Power Point slides in English, lessons both in English and French)
• Hands-on (small groups of students)
• Workshops and Round tables
• Poster/oral presentations by the participants
• Two guided visits to calorimetry and thermal analysis laboratories (academic and industrial)
• Distribution of a hard copy of the teaching material
• Creation of a web-site as an interactive platform, aimed at allowing the participants to ask questions and communicate each other (for a period of 3-6 months after the end of the School)
10 teachers from France and various European countries among the most well known specialists in calorimetry and thermal analysis techniques, speaking fluently both French and English, will give lessons and advices during the school.
Lessons will be given in parallel sessions in French and in English.
For further information and reservation, please contact:
Dr. Aline AUROUX, email@example.com